Friday, March 7, 2014

a little more poop

Realizing ducks have personalities has me unsettled.

For years my vegan friend has told me animals are sentient beings whose lives have their own trajectories like humans. But Oklahoma Joe’s barbeque has distracted me from pondering this for myself. Now that I’m getting to know a brace of ducks I’m troubled thinking these birds my neighbor has named, based on personality, have tasty flesh I may someday eat.

It’s not a huge stretch then to consider eggs a bit differently also. They are potential ducks, after all, whose lives were aborted for my ingestion.

What about other animals we’ve designated as edible? What about cows, pigs, chickens? Surely they’ve personalities as well. And why does a being have to demonstrate personality in order for me not to toss it on the grill or squirt mustard on it?

It seems we humans are pretty arbitrary with which creatures we’ll eat versus ones we’ll treat as family. When cat Felix dies we have a memorial service but when duck Felix dies we google recipes. How do we make that distinction?

I suspect some emotional and mental gymnastics allow us to be selective flesh eaters.

We buy flesh in parts or cooked already, often without organs or bones so it least resembles the furry, feathered, oinking being it once was. Advertising sensualizes the meat we eat hiding the process by which we get it. Unless we work in a CAFO, the slaughter of animals happens far away. We therefore are never exposed to the sound, smell, sight of our pastrami’s death. In fact, it is becoming increasingly harder to access information about this process. What we eat doesn’t look like anything that nurses its young or feels pain.

Like us.

This awareness unsettles me more deeply than the pleasure of good barbeque. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 I've moved!  Please visit me at   https://www.marysilwance.com /